Children & Youth
Our Savior’s ministers to people of all ages but takes special interest in serving youth in our community.
Each Wednesday night between 7:30-9:00 pm youth gather for fellowship, fun, and conversation. Pastor Joe leads activities, Bible study, and music. All youth in grades 9-12 are welcome to join this group.
ELCA Youth Gathering
Every three years, youth from Our Savior’s travel to the ELCA Youth Gathering. At the gathering they join with more than 35,000 youth, adult leaders, and clergy members to do mission work and expand their faith. This offers life-giving experiences for youth to see the Spirit at work in their daily lives.
Confirmation or affirmation of Baptism at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church begins in the 7th grade and continues until the beginning of 10th grade. Students are confirmed on Reformation Sunday in the fall of 10thgrade.
Our Confirmation program includes:
- Classes on Wednesday nights: Meal at 5:30, music at 6:00, and class at 6:15 pm
- 7th and 8th graders walk through the Bible in one year and study Luther’s Small Catechism the next
- 9th graders focus on hot topics and relevant issues with the Nooma videos as a guide
- 10th graders gather in the fall to prepare their faith statements and for Confirmation Sunday
Children begin Sunday School at age 3 and continue through 6th grade. At Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, we believe Sunday School, in addition to Worship, is a great way to help parents raise children in faith. Here are some details about our program:
- Sunday School is held from 9:30-10:20 am between Rally Sunday in September through the end of May. We use the Sparkcurriculum that follows the Gospel lesson in Worship every Sunday.
- Children are involved in an annual Christmas program and Passion play.
- Each class has an annual Milestone event for parents and children that focuses on one aspect of faith: prayer, worship, baptism, Holy Communion, the Creed, and the Bible.
- Children receive Bibles as a gift from the congregation three times in their young lives:
- Kindergartners receive the Spark Children’s Bible
- Third graders receive The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories
- 7th graders receive the Lutheran Study Bible
Vacation Bible School
At Vacation Bible School this year, we learn how Jesus is the Bread of Life, how He teaches us to care for ourselves and our neighbors on June 6-8, 2022. All children ages 3 years to 7th grade are invited to participate in our program.
Children Age 0-3
After Baptism, we encourage parents to bring their children to worship.